Home About Contact Home Australia Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Here's to Love and a Beetle



On Sunday my neighbors Ivan & Beth celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in style. They hired the New South Wales Fire Brigade Band and the Precision Marching Team. They had a big sausage sizzle (that's a BBQ for you Americans). And they invited the whole town. What a celebration.



In 1961, when they were newly married, Beth & Ivan bought a new VW Beetle and drove it from London to Calcutta. Thirty-five years later they took the same trip in the same Beetle. They still own that car, and I occasionally see them cruising around in it.


Beth & Ivan know how to throw a party. Heaps of people turned out to enjoy the music, marching, food and sunshine. Check out Ivan's crazy pants. (Wish I knew the story behind those).


The kids, of course, had a great time practicing their marching skills.



(I think the horn players have higher kicks than the marching girls!)


Congratulations Beth & Ivan. You're an inspiration to us all. We're looking forward to your party next year. And I know exactly how I want to celebrate our 50th in 2047.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

This is such a sweet story. I love to hear things like this.

suzinoz said...

Amazing! What fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design